Saturday, May 17, 2008

Beautiful Bento





Growing up in the suburbs of Detroit, I dreamed of being white; for it was rather lonely being the only "oriental" kid in my block. And until I moved to a more diverse district, I was frequently the only non-white kid in the classroom -- admittedly, that was hard. I tried to fight and break free from the typical Asian stereotype, but that's what made it so unbearable sometimes, because I was the stereotype personified! Shy, quiet, studious...the eighties were rough yo! 

I was so embarrassed when my mom packed me a bento box full of homemade Korean food to eat for lunch at school. Everyone else would either buy lunch or have a brown bag with them, so that's what I wanted too. What a fool I was. If I could go back now, I would choose the bento box over the brown bag sandwich lunch any day.  ^.^

My Culinary Journal has some amazing photos of various bentos. I am making all of these for my future kids one day...and they better like it! Anyway, My Culinary Journal, is my new favorite cooking blog. I highly recommend!  

Images from My Culinary Journal. 

No comments: